1. Move. Fear, pain and anger get stuck in our bodies. Dance, walk, hula hoop, swim, practice yoga. Let your feelings move through you, then set them free.
2. Sing. Or laugh. Or cry. Or write. Let yourself express what you are feeling. You must name it before you are free of it. When times are hardest, rely on your favorite sources of inspiration–whatever art or music moves you. When in doubt, try Frank Sinatra.
3. Meditate. I once spent several hours letting my mind wrestle with a problem, taking me far from my center, far from a sense of ease. When I finally sat down, got still, got clear, the problem released me and I saw a solution. As I came out of meditation, I heard my inner voice say quite clearly: “Next time, meditate first.”
4. Find Beauty. Anywhere you can. It’s there, waiting for you to notice, here and now, wherever you may be. Look for it. Appreciate it. Savour it. Let yourself open to whatever love you find.
5. Scatter Light. Remember, it’s never just about you. If you would be happy, help someone else smile. If you would be healed, ease someone else’s pain. Get out of your own way, and allow yourself to spread light and love to those around you.